CALL 24-Hour Helpline: (410) 997-2272
The HopeWorks’ Youth Leadership Project is a service-learning program dedicated to empowering teens to challenge systems of oppression and prevent relationship violence in their community.
This project creates a space for students to grow in understanding themselves and the world. Facilitating self-care and social justice projects, youth leaders engage in frank discussions, raise their social consciousness and participate in creative projects and activism.
Youth Leadership is open to teens of all genders, ages 13-18. The project provides an affirming and safe space for all students.
HopeWorks’ Youth Leadership Project explores many topics related to violence prevention including healthy relationships, media literacy and the safe use of technology, social constructions of femininity, healthy masculinity, self-management and self-care, environmental justice, body policing, bystander intervention, healthy sexuality, cultural relativity, bullying, gender dynamics, and understanding intersectionality and root causes of oppression. All Youth Leaders serve as outreach specialists, educating their peers and encouraging personal and community safety.
- Learn primary violence prevention skills
- Participate in HopeWorks’ community garden, the Our Earth Program
- Become engaged with social justice issues
- Are encouraged to challenge institutions of oppression
- Develop leadership and public speaking skills
- Use social media and creative expression to increase awareness of violence prevention issues
- Publish a Youth Arts Magazine, Cultivate
- Experience producing HopeWorks’ podcast, Transforming Together
- Reflect on their experiences
- Have fun and make new friends
- Earn community service hours
- Be at least 13 years old and have written parental consent to participate
- Work well with others
- Have an interest in healthy relationships and the prevention of sexual assault and dating violence
- Be creative and dependable
- Attend monthly meetings throughout the school year
- Participate in service projects
- Attend and assist with agency awareness events
- Provide two references